Saturday, June 18, 2005

Company

I don't know if this is a problem other people have. Someone once told me never to attend two functions in one night because the second one will always disappoint. I spent last night in the company of two different groups of people. The first was convivial and altogether pleasant despite the fact the group consisted of people I had only met a few times before. The second group was made up of people I have known for years, but with whom I have spent little time with in the past year or so, and that may have been the problem. Having already eaten dinner with the first group, I sat about with the second listening to their banter which consisted of joking that others had homosexual tendencies etc. I'd heard this plenty of times in the past and know that it is only banter, but as the alcohol wore off (or on depending on your perspective) I couldn't help but think *migod, I've known you people for 5 years and you still act like this?* I don't deny that my being slightly intoxicated and lack of being in their company probably influenced my observations, but at the end of the night I couldn't help but wonder whether it's possible to outgrow your friends. Or I may have turned into an intellectual snob. That's always likely.

No comments: