Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hummingbird Bakery Hazelnut and Chocolate Cupcakes

So I'm supposed to be making the figures for my thesis this weekend but poor Toshi chucked a spazz and crashed Photoshop :( I decided to give the machine a break, and since I ruv Pooey, I decided to do what she wanted and make more Hummingbird products for her to eat. Even though she lives on the other side of the planet. Kekeke.

I decided to make the hazelnut cupcakes because none of the shops in my local shopping centre sold stem ginger in syrup.

So this is what the cake looks like in the book.

I also figured this would be a test run because I have my doubts about their methods. Namely, am I not supposed to cream butter and sugar together as the base for cakes? I decided to follow their directions as closely as possible. What I've put here is the one printed in the book with my changes in purple, just in case anyone wants to try it themselves.

Cupcake - makes 12
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter at room temp (I lazily combined the butter/salt thing by using low-salt butter)
120ml (1/2 cup is close enough) whole milk
1 egg
Nutella
hazelnuts (to decorate)

  • Pre-heat the oven to 170C/325F
  • Put the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. (I did this even though the baker in me was revolting at it. I did however start the mixing by hand with a wooden spoon to break up the butter into smaller chunks before using the mixer.)
  • Slowly pour the milk into the mixture, beating until all the ingredients are well mixed. Add the egg and beat well, scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side with a spatula
  • Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes. Cakes are ready when a skewer comes out clean. Cool slightly in tray, before turning out onto a wire rack.
Cooling on the rack
  • When the cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each and fill each one with a dollop of nutella. I used about 1/2 tsp of Nutella depending on how large I made the holes. It varied :P
Holey cupcakes
Filled cupcakes

Frosting mixture
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter at room temp (again, I cheated with the low salt)
25ml whole milk
80g (2 tbs) Nutella

  • Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium/slow until everything is well mixed (Again, I started by hand with a wooden spoon to breat the butter and mix it in before using the mixer.)
  • Turn to mixer to slower speed and slowly pour int he milk. Whenthe milk is completely incorporated, turn to higher speed and beat until frosting is light and fluffy (approx 5 mins).
  • Stir in the nutella by hand until evenly mixed into the frosting. Spoon on top and finish with hazelnuts to garnish.
The finished products.

Firstly, I don't think this mixture makes 12 cupcakes. Unless I overfilled my first batch of 6 (entirely possible but you can judge for yourself from the ones in the pics), I think it makes closer to 10 because the second batch of 6 weren't that full. Anyway, to try and emulate the pic in the book, I cut one open and shared it with Spuey.
I think Spuey liked it and he said even though it didn't dribble out like the one in the picture, he could sure taste the Nutella in the cupcake. I therefore think this recipe passed, and I may make it again when Pooey gets back or if anyone requests*!

*Donations would aid the fulfilling of any requests :P

8 comments:

Lynn said...

ummmmm......well......if you're free during the day time when you're in Canberra! hehe.....it's not like i'm watching my weight or anything these days!!

mallymoodle said...

Sure! If H has a cupcake tray, I can feed your bebe!

Lynn said...

i have a cupcake tray! u can borrow mine. lol.

Pooey said...

moo they look yummy!

also re the size of the cupcake, the book specifies a certain size of tray which you can buy at Waitrose... which err you obviously dont have a home... mebbe dat wai you only get 10 cupcakes and not 12?

*shuffles off to waitrose*

mallymoodle said...

No, I think I might have filled my more than how they do because mine look puffier than theirs.

You're not seriously going to carry a cupcake tray all the way from Meldon, are you?! :O

Unknown said...

i can testify from first hand experience that these cupcakes were indeed superb!!!

I declare these the best cupcakes I have ever had!!!!

Unknown said...

btw this is pretty cool

http://www.joyofbaking.com/printpages/Historyprint.html

Anonymous said...

You can use a standard size 12 cup muffin tray and muffin liners (rather than cupcake trays). And the method does work... but it is v. annoying and the flour/butter mix gets everywhere. Made them twice now and this recipe is awesome (got the book for Christmas). If you split them amongst 12 cups the cakes should come out flat rather than domed. Happy baking dude.... =) x Mandy