Sunday, November 11, 2007

Movie review - Hairspray (The Musical)

What?!?! I can't believe I forgot to review this movie considering how good it made me feel! And it made me feel like going out, put on a puffy dress and high heels then going out to swing dance! Adapted from the Tony-award winning stage musical based on the 1988 John Waters movie, Hairspray the Musical is an enjoyable cheering ball of fun!

Tracy Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky) is a 'pleasantly plump' teenager from Baltimore who only sees good in the world. She dreams of being a dancer on the Corny Collins Show and that her crush Link Larkin (Zac Efron) who dances on the show will notice her. Auditions are held after a dancer leaves the show, but Tracy is ridiculed by the leading dance queen and Link's gf Amber Von Tussle (Brittany Snow), and Amber's mother and Corny's producer, Velma (Michelle Pfeiffer), but manages to get chosen with from her best friend Penny (Amanda Bynes) and new friend Seaweed (Elijah Kelley). Then she decides that its not fair for black kids to dance on the show once a month and decides to help them escape oppression. And then everyone has a big dance-off in the end!!!

A big part of what makes this enjoyable is Nikki Blonsky's performance. She seems so genuine in her joy and enthusiam. And then the musical numbers are so upbeat and moving, I did catch myself at some points bouncing along with the beat. Michelle Pfeiffer is also excellent as the EVIL Velma! Still hot at 40-something years, it's been a while since she played comedy and even longer since she sang! At the same time, there are so many wrong moments. Every scene with John Travolta for one - he played Tracy's mother Edna and the sight of him in a dress is one I could have lived without. I was always slightly scared that we'd see him kiss Christopher Walken during their love duet.



I originally didn't intend to see this movie because, quite frankly, as much as I love musicals, this one didn't appeal to me and I wasn't impressed by the presence of so many teeny-bopper idols. But after being told by many people how fun it was, I'm glad I did. Seriously. Even though I saw this on a Tuesday night, I just wanted to go out and dance my time away. So if you want some light and fluffy and happy times, Hairspray is good for you.
8/10

No comments: