Monday, June 12, 2006

Recipe for Joy

Mmmmm! Doncha just love public holidays? Other than sleeping, I spent the day doing something I like to do best - fiddle with recipes. I've described doing experiments as akin to cooking - you follow the directions you're given, and if you don't like the result, you keep fiddling with it until you get something you like. I was gonna try the macadamia shortbread again, but discovered that the kitchen was plain flour-free. I ended up helping my Dad bake a cake (cos he enjoys cooking too) and then I received a request from my Mum to make honey joys.

(You guys probably don't realise what a momentous thing that is - my Mum almost never eats anything I cook. Pretty much the only things that she'll eat are my chicken and corn soup, pasta bake, and shortbread. Even then she complains that my shortbread is too fattening.)

And so following this recipe, I made 24 joys:

90g butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbs honey
4 cups cornflakes
+ the secret ingredient (LOVE :P)

Melt the butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan until all the sugar has dissolved and its nice and frothy.
Pout the mixture over the cornflakes in a mixing bowl and mix it in good.
Divide them up into little patty-pans and bake them at 150
ºC for about 5-10 minutes (it depends if you prefer them hard or slightly sticky, less time for sticky).

It's best to store them in an air-tight container if you're not intending to eat them quickly. I ate about five in one sitting once and it felt like my teeth were gonna fall out, so I don't recommend overeating. Happy joying!

No comments: