Saturday, August 02, 2008

Movie review - Let the Right One In/Låt Den Rätte Komma In

For this year's MIFF, I opted to watch this movie. Oskar is a bullied boy whose life changes when he becomes friends with a Eli, a girl who moves into the apartment next door. And so begins a story of friendship, serial killers, loyalty, revenge, aqua aerobics, vampires, and love.



I figure I can't really say too much without giving major plot developments away - although the vampire bit is not a spoiler. While not particularly ground-breaking, this film sure is interesting. We are shown the drudgery of Oskar's life, his physical, psychologial, and sometimes geographic isolation from everything around him, sometimes I just wanted to smack him for his complete cluelessness. He's got a very dopey face. And the same applies to the murderer and vampire! I really didn't want them to get caught! But I might just be weird like that. I particularly like the use of silence and the white white snow. I can see life being very dreary there.

Surprisingly tender, often quite funny, and not particularly gruesome or violent although it's not often you see a children in movies covered in blood, I didn't fall asleep during the film despite my bone-deep tiredness and walked out feeling entertained.
6.5-7/10

No comments: