Monday, May 23, 2005

Movie review: Revenge of the Sith

This review is going to be a lot more simple than the KoH one.

I liked it despite all the new plot holes and the crappy writing. For example, C-3PO's memory is wiped, but it doesn't explain why Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen don't recognise him and R2-D2 when they return in the *original* Star Wars movie. And Anakin goes to the Dark Side....because of love? Love is normally considered a redeeming feature in Movie-land. Even the most horrible person can be humanised by making them fall in love with someone, case in point - Hannibal Lecter. I thought they were going to play up Anakin's jealousy/suspicion of a possible relationship between Obi-Wan and Padme, now THAT would have been more believable.

(I will concede to male logic here. A male member of the party I watched it with said that there are 2 things in the world to turn a guy to evil, Chicks and Money. And I suppose since his chick was the source of his money, then I guess Anakin had a double male reason to go bad.)

Onto the good things, I liked the increased amount of Yoda fight, although his ability kinda shows up all the other Jedi, particularly when Command 66 kicked in. I also liked the explanation of how Chancellor Palpatine became the freakishly deformed Emperor. What I didn't like was how in the fight between the Chancellor/Emperor and Mace Windu mainly consisted of them grimacing... shoulda shown more swordplay!

It's not the awesome-a-power movie some reviews/fans painted it, but I'm satisfied and it did kind of make me want to go and watch the original trilogy.

Enjoy-o-meter - 3.5-4 out of 5
Cry-o-meter - a bit of shock when Anakin kills the younglings, but overall 0

No comments: