Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Movie review: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Before I get started on this review, 2 yukky things happened today.
1. When I was walking to the bus stop, I saw a dead cat by the side of the road.
2. The bus driver was clipping his nails on the bus!

The movie...I never thought I'd say this about something from the sci-fi genre, but this is a damn CUTE movie! Marvin!!!! So round and cuddly even though he's a depressed robot. But I felt so sad at the end....I'll not say more than that.

There's a bit of a retro feel about the special effects that's quite charming. Instead of using CGI to make the Vorgons, you can tell some of them are actually puppets. It's stuff like that. Some of the sets look like painted polystyrene. And the wardrobe isnt full of huge, elaborate pieces of how people think aliens/space travellers dress. For example, most of the characters just wear one outfit the whole time. Arthur gets to spend the whole movie wearing his dressing gown. The plot is a a bit out there, but thats ok.

I didn't think I'd like the movie so much because I just couldn't get into the book when I started reading it years ago. But it's clever and full of charm. And I'm a sucker for brains and charm.

Rating - 4.5/5

No comments: