Friday, November 04, 2005

HOORAY!!!!!

Man! It's so great to be back in the world of the living! Honours has FINALLY finished, and you know what that means! YES! After SEVEN, count 'em, SEVEN long years as an undergraduate, I have finalled finished my uni degree. God, what was I thinking to let it drag on for so long? Not that I didn't enjoy myself - I deliberately chose degrees that I'd enjoy more than make me money.

Well the final defence seminar was on Tuesday while the Cup was on. It was quite nerve wracking as I do believe that
I'm a terrible public speaker despite my ability with words in general conversation. I NEED to have a script. I may not read off it, but if I'm allowed to jut talk freeflow, you're gonna get rambling and I know it. In addition, I'm a fast talker in general. But anyway! After many many practice runs (thank you Marg for coming in on Sunday, Lisa, Laura, Christina and James for turning up to the final practice and asking questions and giving feedback), it all went well! I think I did ok if the number of staff coming up to me the day after and telling me how well I did was any indication.

But of course, there was still the Wednesday presentations to go so I had to spend another day listening to other ppl talk about their projects and think about questions to ask....man, one of the cancer research students got KILLED by a professor. The prof admittedly asked a question that was integral to the project and the student attempted to avoid the question. Bad move. All it did was prompt the prof to ask the question in a more direct way so that everyone understood, making the student's inability to answer more obvious, blowing a hole straight through his work.

The relief....the load off our shoulders....its a wonderful thing. Unfortunately the release kinda made everyone just loose the adrenaline that was keeping us going through the stress and the sleepless, work-filled nights. So instead of going out and getting smashed the way all our supervisors thought we would, there was just everyone slinking home to sleep the days away. And 48 hours later, here I am back again. Rest assured however, its gonna me a long, drunk november. Bring it on!!!!

No comments: