Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ouchies?

For the last few months while I was furiously trying to finish the Phud, I did something I'm not particularly proud of....I let myself go. I can see people like Rachie-Poo rolling their eyes in disgust at my proclamation, I do. But the truth is, I essentially stopped all formal exercise for at least 3 months, while increasing my intake of chocolate and other things I could eat at my desk while trying to write. Not to mention the Christmas lunches, CNY dinners, and celebratory bowls of pasta, plates of cheese, and bottles of wine. This has all combined to produce on squishy Mallymoodle.

But now! I am hitting the gym again with a vengeance! Except one of the staples of my former fitness regime, Pilates with Glen, is no longer possible because they shifted the class to 12pm instead of 1pm
~*(>_<)*~ <-----Not happy! I have instead started going to the class that has replaced the timeslot - Fitball. This basically involves doing a bunch of cardio and strength workouts while using a Swiss Ball. I have attended two classes so far and this is what I've found out...
  • Dribbling a Swiss Ball is not too difficult although it does run away from me at times.
  • I have little rhythm. And I have even less when I'm trying to swivel a 55cm diameter ball to Michael Jackson's Beat It.
  • My wrists don't have the strength for me to do push ups.
  • My knees don't have the strength for me to do squats.
  • My ankles are shot.
  • But I can balance on the ball on my knees (like a seal) just fine!
I always walk out of class slightly shaking from the exercise (possibly because my joints are crying) and right now I've got slightly sore traps from various bench pressing, flies and I can't remember what else all while balanced on a ball. Lets see how this goes and whether it becomes a weekly regular as well!

4 comments:

SuBoo said...

1. You sure don't look like you've let yourself go :P
2. I have seen video evidence of your seal-like capabilities in just another day at the Lui household. Impressive.

mallymoodle said...

I've gained 3kg! That might not sound like much but it's nearly 10% of my normal body weight!

SuBoo said...

I'm sure you weigh more than 30 kgs??

mallymoodle said...

Oh okay, it's closer to 6% of my normal body weight!