Friday, June 29, 2012

Guggenheim Bilbao

Unlike the last time, when the queue into the Guggeheim Bilbao stretched out of the building and onto the terrace, Hito, Mel, and I were prepared by pre-booking tickets! It turns it that wasn't necessary because the weather was still gloomy and there were not so many tourists around. 
Ohai again, Puppy!

Close up pic of Puppy's fur

Cool building, bro.

The interesting shapes don't stop with the exterior!

One of the criticisms I'd heard of the gallery was that it's permanent collection itself isn't that great, while the visiting exhibitions are more interesting. I slightly beg to differ. I quite liked the permanent installations we saw...

Such as Koons' Tulips. So soft and squishy looking despite being made of steel.

And from another angle!

Richard Serra's A Matter of Time

Walking in, around, and amongst the piece is pretty trippy!

I can't remember what this was called but it was pretty cool as well. LED lights with moving sentences in English, Spanish, and Basque

At this point, I was stopped by a guard who told me no photography was allowed. This is a real shame because the temporary exhibition was a collection of David Hockney's recent works. It was really fascinating, not only because Hockney really is a great artist, but also about how he integrates old work, e.g. Claude's Sermon on the Mount, with new technology e.g. using an app on a iPad to create these amazing canvasses. I was also particularly impressed with the videos showing the progression of a painting on the app. My pictures don't look that good when I scribble colour on top of colour!


And then afterwards, before heading out to the airport, we ate one last Basque meal.


Here is my tripe with chorizo.

Adios, Bilbao y San Sebastian. ¡hasta luego! 

No comments: