Saturday, June 30, 2012

A visit from Ma & Pa (and Pooey)

The afternoon after I arrived back from Spain, I furiously cleaned my apartment and changed the sheets. Why? Because Ma, Pa, and Pooey were arriving to stay for a few days! This has been the longest time I've ever been away from Ma - I hadn't seen her since I left Munich 18 months ago. Well, that's not completely true. We have had awkward Skype conversations, usually conducted while I'm at work meaning that she tells me to get back to work. And okay, I haven't seen Pa in over a year but he visited me 6 months after I moved here so it's been less traumatic :P


Having spent a couple of days in London to recover from jetlag, Ma & Pa were going to spent a couple of days in Munich further recovering. Unfortunately (for reasons what will become apparent later), I was only able to take half days off to hang out with Ma & Pa. Luckily Pooey knew what she was doing and had an idea of the places they should see, and more importantly, the things they should eat!  (The photos are therefore from Pooey.)


First stop, Viktualienmarkt!
People in the biergarten.

Oh, hurrow!

Patiently waiting for some scraps.

Ma was pretty impressed by the crackling...

...so much so that they bought a slab to eat.


Unfortunately, the weather wasn't really on our side. We had organised to meet at Odeonsplatz to walk through the Englischergartens but it was pouring rain by the time I made it there. This was ultimately not such a bad thing because Ma told me she had been awake for 23 hours the previous day due to jetlag. After ushering them home to sleep, me and Pooey went out to dinner with Swisschris. 


The next day, the sun was (kinda) shining and a visit to the Chinesischer Turm Biergarten was finally made!
A schweinshaxn was ordered...

as was a currywurst.

Pa has a go at eating the haxn

Time for a lovely postprandial stroll!

At the Monopteros

Compare this view to this one taken in February!

Unfortunately the weather didn't hold and Ma had to help Pa get rugged up for the rain

Look at how high the Schwabinger Bach was!

Nice umbrella, Pooey!

Apparently Ma & Pa were amused by the number of ducks and geese in the gardens, and how delicious they look. 

I'll take that one!

And finally all the way back at the Residenz.

For dinner, we decided to go to Swisschris' local Viet restaurant because, lord knows, Asian food would be unlikely to be had until Paris, and my parents unamusingly told the waiters who worked there of my unattached status. >.<


Pooey's Hu Tieu

My Bun Bo Hue.

Only in Germany are the Eroticshops decorated with ugly cartoons of dominatrices...which are then closed at 8pm!


And next, the beginning of the Epic 2012 Trip. 

No comments: