Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sculpture of the week - Warin the Wombat by Des McKenna

Des McKenna, Warin the Wombat, 2002
City Square, Melbourne
(Source)

I have chosen this week's piece of the week based on this website and misguided belief that I had taken a photo of myself sitting on the wombat. Alas, I couldn't find that photo so I'm guessing it didn't happen. I don't actually know much about this piece other than what's on those links above so I'll just summarise them for the lazy people who won't click the links.

Warin was carved on location from a red-gum log that was 1.5m long, 1m diameter, and weighing 2.5 tonnes. Because it was carved on site, it apparently acquired a very loyal audience who would watch the progress from behind safety barriers (EHS issues, you know). The name Warin is derived from two local aboriginal dialects, and it is apparently one of the most rubbed and favoured pieces in the square. For something that cute and easy to climb on, I'm not surprised!

1 comment:

Pooey said...

hehehehe... he's so kyoot!