Saturday, September 18, 2010

Painting of the week - Concert champetre by Titian

Titian, Le Concert Champêtre, c. 1510
Louvre, Paris
(Source)

If all goes to plan, I should be in Paris this weekend so here's a piece from the Louvre, Le Concert Champêtre by Titian...or Giorgione! Traditionally attributed to Giorgione, it is now considered an early major work by Titian, showing both the influence of his master (Giorgione) but also the things that would make his own name later; idealised beauty and excellent technique and style.

On my first visit to the Louvre in 2004, I remember being surprised that a major work (in my opinion) such was this was tucked away away from the Grand Galerie where most of the rest of the European works were. Turns out there was some minor renovations going on. It's now in the Salle de La Joconde - same room as the Mona Lisa. I wonder how many people look at her and not this piece?

No comments: