Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Waffles, rain, mussels and beer in Belgium.

Oh look! I finally made it to Belgium to destroy Leuven and Brussels with Marene.

Except we didn't because jetlag finally caught up with me and Marene had been struck down with a cold. Ah well.

But those little things didn't stop us from getting up and getting some freshly made waffles from the waffle guy which we then ate on the way to look at the sights of Leuven on the way to the train station.
Waffles in the main square!

Waffles at the Hotel de Ville!

Waffles with the wedding car parked outside the Hotel de Ville!

It was raining by the time we made it to Brussels but Marene assured me that it would be on and off. This will be duly reflected in the various photos.

In the Grand Place

Apparently touching this saint gives good luck, hence the shiny shiny appearance and my cheesy grin. Who wouldn't want good luck?!

The Mannekin Pis and what I think of the Mannekin Pis.

Window with the things that apparently symbolise Brussels - the Mannekin Pis and BIERE!!!

Marene contemplates the dark clouds rolling in.

The sun peeks out behind the Royal Palace

Cheese outside the Palace!

Uh-oh, rain rolling in again over the Royal gardens.

Many people, Marene included, said there wasn't really much to see and do in Brussels. They were right although all the rain didn't help us go out to try and find anything new. We made it back to Leuven for me to find a beer to like and for Marene to drink warm fluids.

Round 1! My Lindemans pecheresse biere and Marene's citrus-flavoured green tea.

Contemplating the peachy flavour of the beer.

So excited to receive our warm soup and frites to go with out beer and tea.

Round 2! Marene's peppermint tea and my Karmeliet. I recall liking it less than the peach beer because this one actually tasted like beer. I think I dislike the flavour of hops and therefore dislike beer.

Marene asked me if I wanted to keep going ont he beers or get something to eat. Since I was starting to feel a bit koo-koo from the beers, I said food me! Unfortunately the place she wanted to take me was inexplicably closed to we picked another place at random.

Mmmm, sweet mussels just waiting for me to eat.

YES - YOU ARE SEEING MARENE (momentarily) END HER VEGETARIANISM AND EAT ONE MUSSEL!

Mussels done and dusted.

By now it was raining again and we were feeling pretty tired. We attempted to buy me what was apparently judged the best beer in the world a few years ago but the only place Marene knew it to be sold said that they didn't sell it anymore. We also visited a bar that looks like it used to be a dungeon. Unfortunately no photos were taken because the decorations made it look like any other bar not to mention the shady crowd consisting of middle-aged men. Boo. Anyway, beer, mussels, frites, waffles...introducing me to the sweets of Belgium, task completed!

No comments: