Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Return of the Animal

I'm someone who is rapidly approaching their 30s . Like my bike announcement, this was met with utter amazement because apparently my youthful appearance and immature personality would never indicate my age. At some points, I've had to show my passport to get this believed but now it is accepted that, yes, I am the oldest person im Deutschkurs and the oldest *junior* person in my Dept.


This hasn't stopped me from feeling as though the clock has been turned back to 2006. When I say 2006, I mean that for the first time in my life, friends and I were finally looking of an age where I can enter places without having to prove that we are of age but more importantly, I've suddenly found myself with a regular source of income that didn't require getting up on Saturday morning to acquire it. That this phase of my life coincided with the realisation that I loved red wine was probably not a coincidence. Now that I'm in Muenchen, I'm finding I enjoy German beer. It's a lot smoother than Aussie beer, tastes a lot less bitter, comes in nicer glasses, (moderately) cheaper with bigger sizes...it's just better all-around. Combine steins of beer with the company of younger people and you find me coming home early in the morning. 


So now in Germany, a few years after I thought I'd put my inner animal away....she's come back with a vengeance. And apparently, it's quite impressive - Juliane said Friday night wiped her out while Ruben, my company on Sat night and Sunday arvo said it was downright impressive and that he hopes to be as animalistic as me when he turns 30 (he turned 26 on Sat/Sun - feliz cumpleanos!). What I find truly amazing is that I seem to be handling it moderately well, the sole exceptions being when I was being poured 50% vodka tonics, and this past weekend where I was basically out Fri-Sun (partly through avoiding my apartment). Anyway, the beast is back!

No comments: