Sunday, July 01, 2012

12 Days, 6 Cities - Munich Airport

The title of this post hopefully explains why I only took half days off while the family were in Muenchen - my parents and I were going to embark on an epic journey spanning five countries in 12 days. The longest vacation I've taken since moving to Germany, it was going to be just me and the folks crossing Western Europe. Pooey wasn't coming because she lacked the necessary funds to come along (saving for wedding), so we said our goodbyes at Munich Airport.


Now, maybe I'm biased but I think Munich Airport is pretty damn spiffy. The sixth busiest in Europe in 2011, the current airport has been in operation since 1992 with the second terminal opening a decade later. Because it's so new, it has some pretty nifty things like a biergarten in the plaza that separates the two terminals. The plaza is also used for other things, such as a Christmas market (!!!), but at this particular visit, a giant screen and seating had been set up to allow visitors to watch the matches from the UEFA 2012 Euros, for which Germany was a favourite to win. 
There were also little stalls set up for people to buy snackies while they watched that were adorned with fussball-related quotes. This one is paraphrased from Gary Lineker saying, "A match goes for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."

Bubble tea is suddenly really popular in Munich to the extent that McDonald's is now serving them in the McCafe. It...doesn't taste the way I prefer it - it's not Asian style. 

There's also a permanent stand selling American-style hot dogs that also sells currywurst

Pooey sure loves her currywurst!

While we were at the airport, it occurred to me that there was no real reason why Pooey couldn't come - I could have subsidised her tickets and hotel rooms aren't much more expensive when you move from 3 people to 4. She said she wouldn't feel right with me doing that. After listening to Ma and Pa bicker the way that people who have been together for a long time do, I turned to Poo and said, "I will PAY you to come with us. At least meet us in Barcelona rather than Paris!" To this she gave an evil laugh, refused again, and wished me luck. And so,the journey began!
Prost! (wie die Eltern, so die Tochter!)

2 comments:

Lynnie said...

I love how you were pretty much begging frances to come with you all! She not going with you guys just confirms that you are the better daughter. haha

mallymoodle said...

Or......the fact that I was begging her to come along means that I am the bad daughter!