Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Story of Stingy

Pooey compared her blogging output to mine and was much displeased with my Daggy entry. So I'm writing something else to please her.

This here is a little toy I keep on my desk, on the best piece of carpentry EVER, my homemade monitor/speaker shelf.
We call him Stingy. Stingy believe it or not has a somewhat interesting backstory.

Originally starting life as one of those Happy Meal toys that comes in little plastic bags on which kids to whom Happy Meals are marketed can choke on, Stingy used to belong to Loveable Kitty herself, Roxy. I'm not sure how long Stingy lived with Roxy, but in 2004 when Rox decided to move to SF for work, she could not bear to make herself pack up her house. Which was where I came into the story. I believe that after a dinner at Hard Rock Cafe celebrating the closure of
Roxy's time in Melb., she invited me, Takyn and Roy back to her place to help her clean out.

And clean I did! Although I did nearly make her break out in tears at the thought that my whirlwind was *throwing her life out*, we did manage to
get quite a few rooms packed up and found a good deal of money that Roxy had secreted in various parts of her house and then forgotten. We also found a lot of little knick-knacks and toys that we were told to welcome ourselves to. Stingy here caught my attention on several points.
1) His weird little face - do stingrays actually look like that?
2) His weirdness in general - why were Maccas handing out stingray toys? There are far more cuter animals out there.
3) The fact that he vibrates. No smutty jokes here, please. If you see in this photo: there's a little ring coming out of Stingy's back. When you pull then release the ring, he vibrates! A vibrating stingray just struck me as so weird that I had to add it to my pack-rat collection, something to which Roxy happily acquiesced.

So there we go, the story of how I acquired Stingy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*nasal voice* Stingeee...

Anonymous said...

I thought he looked familiar!

Glad my toys have found a good home *sniff*

Anonymous said...

I remember stingy!!! I played with him too!!!

-Smee-