Sunday, December 24, 2006

Learning to Ride

For the past 25 years and four months, I have not been able to ride a bike. That changed this month when Poosy declared that after 27 years, she was finally going to learn and would start by actually buying a bike. While I've never felt a burning desire to learn I have conceded that so long as I never could ride I would probably never be able to compete in The Amazing Race, so now that a bike was in our possession, I decided it was also time for me to learn!

My announcement to people that I was going to learn was met with bewilderment that I had never learned as a child to welcoming enthusiasm and flat-out amusement. I got a lot of comments such as "Are you gonna use training wheels?" Haha. "No really! Man, I'd love to see an adult bike with training wheels!"

Pooey began by practicing riding up and down the 15-20m path in our backyard. About a fortnight ago, I first climbed on the bike about and amazed Pooey when I immediately rode about 5-10m. Now that Pooey is gone, I've decided to be more dilligent and soon the path became too small. So today Spuey and I took the bike down to our local bush park where there's a path about 1.5km or so long. And I kept riding it until I could do the whole course without stopping. And now I can!

Hooray!

It was kind of galling to have kids a fraction of my age passing me though. Grrr.....

No comments: