Friday, September 19, 2008

Ikenobo - The Origin of Ikebana

Now, some people think attending a lecture on flower arranging from a visiting professor of Ikebana (yes they do exist) is a pretty weird way for me to be spending a Fri Night. I say, not at all! In a not too distant past, I was a fleuriste. I didn't enjoy my time in that job very much, mostly due to the totally inept boss. Actually, make that entirely due to the inept boss. The work itself was quite enjoyable and the scents of various flowers still make me feel fluttery inside (from joy, not misery). One of the things I did enjoy was making the flower arrangements, despite my total lack of training.

Knowing this, I heart
ily accepted the invite to where Akina was acting as the translator for the prof!

The Prof in action

Akina translating whike he arranges

An example of rikka shofutai

Shoka ikebana inspired by the Prof's time in Melbourne

And another one inspired by a friendly duck who appeared while he was picking the lilies

Freestyle Ikebana.

That cherry blossom branch was HUGE.
I was slightly terrified at the thought that he walked up to someone and asked if he could cut off an entire branch

And this one was pretty cute

The night was thoroughly enjoyable! The prof was totally enthusiastic which led to Akina at times translating *mmmm, looks good!* It also made his arranging a lot more dynamic than even I expected! The only disappointment was the continuous running commentary given by the ladies who lunch sitting beside me. Hmph!

No comments: