Monday, April 06, 2009

Bouldering!

After months of saying it would be done, I finally went indoor bouldering with dancinghula and The Pom. What can I say? It was tough! It was a lot tougher than indoor rock climbing despite the walls being only 3m tall. Alas no photos were taken of this event because we were too busy trying to conquer the wall to take any. That and our hands were covered in chalk.

When you're standing at the base of the wall, casually bouncing on the crashmat looking up, it looks pretty easy. When you're watching skinny girls and buff shirtless guys climbing without too much visible effort, it looks pretty easy. When The Pom demonstrates how to do it, it looks pretty easy. But when you're clinging onto the wall looking up at the next handhold and wondering how you're going to get there, *phew!* Luckily both dancinghula and I are pretty stubborn people. You want me to hang upside down and try to propel myself around a ledge? Hell yeah I'll give it a shot! (I couldn't do it, but not for want of trying!)

So what did I learn? I need better upper body strength for one. It's been about 3 days and my lats, traps, and delts still twinge a bit! I should probably try to drop a few kilos as well or make myself into a little ball of muscle. Either way, the bug his bit me hard. We're going again in about a fortnight! In the meantime, I'm going to do more chin ups in the gym!

No comments: