Monday, July 05, 2010

Books I have purchased and need to (finish) reading

Solar by Ian McEwan.
I like Ian McEwan. I haven't read all of his books but I've enjoyed the ones I have and enjoy the times where I attempt to explain to people how Atonement works as a piece of metafiction - the author tells a story but they tell a story based on their own motivations! It's not a cop-out!...I mean....*cough*, so getting back to the point. This book is about a womanising Nobel-prize winning physicist who heads a research institute examining global warming and renewable energy sources, but finds that while his professional life is awesome, his personal life is crumbling when his fourth wife (and not him!) whom he loves is having an affair! Ooh la la!

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks is a classic of clinical neuroscience storytelling! Lydia saw it in a used book stall on Sunday and held it up with a *Hey mallymoodle!* yell. I'll admit to giving out a squeal of delight - it's a classic of clinical neuroscience storytelling! - and rushing across to grab it. I then declared that I was going to buy it then and there without checking the price, much to the stares of Lydia and the stall holders. They didn't seem to understand when I told them that it's a classic of clinical neuroscience storytelling. Must be a neuroscience nerd thing.

No comments: