Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Wellcome Collection

As a powernerd, The Wellcome Collection of Medical History has been on my list of things to visit for a while. Being on my lonesome was the perfect time to go without having to drag an unwilling friend! Unfortunately I missed out on the exhibition they had on the history of hygiene, Dirt. Dammit. It was especially embarrassing given that I tried to open the door to where the exhibition was.  


Otherwise, here are some things I did manage to see!
It's actually the 75th anniversary of the foundation so there was an exhibition commemorating various projects it has funded. These include trying to find a cure for malaria, understanding how memory works, and the Human Genome Project.

There was also an exhibition looking at the link between Science and Art. This is a glass sculpture of the H1N1 virus - Swine Flu!

A full section of a plastinated woman. I probably shouldn't have taken this photo.

Some bottles from Sir Henry's personal collection of medical equipment. Despite the fact he would have collected them before he died in 1936, they look like some that we currently use in the lab!

A highlight of the collection - THE HUMAN GENOME!!!! Zoom see how small the text is with all those base pairs!!!
Christ, I'm such a nerd. 

2 comments:

Pooey said...

I really wanted to see Dirt but I ran out of time.

mallymoodle said...

I was originally going to go on Tues but then decided to go shopping so I felt really stupid when I missed out BY A DAY!!!