Friday, October 05, 2012

A Wiesn visit from Nickyliou!

As I was walking through the 3C weather to the U-bahn at 4:40am on Wednesday, I thought to myself, *Mein Gott, something pretty special must be happening to drag my  sorry ass out at this time and in this weather.* And there was a reason! As stated in my last entry, Nickyliou was visiting and I was on my way to grab her from the airport!

So it appears I didn't take any photos, but on Markus' advice I decided to welcome her to Muenchen with a Bayerisch Weisswurst Fruehstueck - but without the bier. It was also a sunny day so we had a quick look at Wiesn for her to decide if she really wanted to buy a dirndl or if she'd be okay with *normal* clothes. The assessment - DIRNDL REQUIRED. And since it was also Reunification Day, we took a stroll around the city, through the festival showing produce and other things from states other than Bayern, before wending our way to the Chinesischer Turm for a hearty lunch. 

Bright and early, we got up and got Nickyliou a dirndl. I swear, the first dirndl you try on is the one you buy and this was indeed the case. But after tackling a 1/2 hendl and a schweinshaxn in the biergarten, Nic asked if we could get a lunch that didn't consist of giant meat portions and so we headed to Orlando

Nickyliou enjoys the fancy interiors...

and admires our buffalo mozzarella and fig salad.

The real reason we came - the truffle pasta. Nickyliou said she'd never eaten actual truffles before and I said that needed to be rectified. Despite the (relatively) small portion size, she struggled to finish it and I threatened her that if she didn't, I would because they are TRUFFLES.

After this, we then went to the Braeurosl at Wiesn where we sat with two boys named Markus who proceeded to tell us that all nice German boys are named Markus - and that's why their friend is named Franzl! Franzl was unimpressed. Markus and Markus then tried to teach us some Bavarian dialect. I can't remember exactly how to say it but it translated to *I am Mallymoodle. I come from Australia...and I am soooooooooooooo drunk!* Not having had as much training as me, Nic was a bit toasted after one litre and we decided to preserve ourselves for Friday.

Friday morning, up and early, we went to the Himmel der Bayern tent where we sat with some more guys named Markus (this time from Hesse/Frankfurt) for lunch. 
Look at those puffy shoulders!

Ummm, yeah...

We then had to leave to pick up Nikki, friend of Nickyliou's, from the hbf, meaning that we lost our places in the tent. But that didn't matter - after dinner in the Lowenbrau biergarten, we rode the ferris wheel as the sun set.

Ahhh, so nice...

and full!!!

We also did some shooting and I'll admit it - I was a bit miffed to find Nickyliou was a better shot than me. But as she pointed out, she has steady surgeon hands. After this comment, I was a lot happier. Anyway, here's what she managed to win - a Bavarian lion!
Complete with bier! 
And like all nice German boys, his name is Markus :P

No comments: