Sunday, October 14, 2012

Schadenfreude in the Bayerischer Wald

Like last year, our work retreat this year was being held at the same place in the Bavarian Forest. Except instead of the sweet July summer, we were going in the chilly October. And everyone was soooooo enjoying my discomfort. Even on the day we were supposed to go hiking through the forest, my big boss came up to me at breakfast and said it was frosty out there! *huff!*

Sure, some of them were trying to convince me that the great outdoors is truly great. But why couldn't people accept that I came to Munich for the city - not a forest! As it was, after a couple of sessions of science, we were given instructions about our hike and  schnitzeljagd (scavenger hunt) which was punctuated by Markus' laughter because he was very highly amused by the look of disgust on my face. 

In the end, I wasn't the only one who didn't enjoy walking through the forest. Sure, it was punctuated by training in the deadly arts (I'm bad at slingshots, archery, okay at knife throwing, and pretty good at blow darts!) and a few survival questions (e.g. name all the plants you can see - useless for me since they were all in German and I'd never seen them before) but it was pretty damn cold. But there was a highlight - I got to do some bouldering on a wall!
Please note that the German girl at the base of the wall is the same size as myself. 

2 comments:

SuBoo said...

Does schnitzel then mean 'scavenger', or does it mean 'hunt'? I always thought it just meant 'yummy thing to eat' or something similar ;)

mallymoodle said...

Jagd means hunt, schnitzel means schnitzel but it can also mean *scrap*