Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Scotland - Edinburgh

Following Glasgow, Javi, Patri and I headed to Edinburgh to be tourists and to catch up with Suling and Mike. And since the cosmos knew that we were being tourists, it decided to turn on the weather for us! WOOHOO!!! Between the two cities, I can see why Edinburgh would be preferred over Glasgow by most people - it's located on the Firth of Forth so there's a seaside, it's got pretty buildings from different architectural eras, and it's got a bloody history that can be traced through the largely intact mediaeval city centre. Case in point, Edinburgh Castle. 

Fortress, prison, most visited attraction in Scotland, the castle looks like what you'd expect of a castle from some angles and not from others. Also, book your tickets online! We didn't and after looking at the queue, decided not to enter!

Despite not entering the castle proper, climbing the Royal Mile up to Castle Rock alone gives some pretty nice views over the city.

And tourist behaviour can be indulged!

Otherwise, there are lots of other things to see, such as this, the Walter Scott Memorial. I also visited the Scottish National Gallery - it has a pretty good collection with strong pieces from the Renaissance onward. It definitely served well for me to give Suling and Mike a quick rundown on the history of Western Art! Down side, Sargent's Lady Agnew of Lochnaw is a highlight of the collection (and the artist's oeuvre), AND THE PAINTING WASN'T THERE!!! When I asked an attendant as to where it was, just in case I had the wrong location, he told me it was on loan in PARIS!!! But that it would be back in June...from then it would go on loan in AMERICA!!! So, I'd better return in the Summer, eh?

After this and a stroll around town, Suling and Mike took me to dinner at Restaurant Mark Greenaway. We had the Market Menu which was a complete bargain of 3 courses for £20 (drinks not included). Featuring modern cuisine using locally sourced produce, I was in foodie heaven, the likes of which I don't think I've been in since...maybe Melbs. Or London. So like...one month.
First course - Pan fried duck egg with duck croquette, duck ham, and brioche. Not mentioned was the slight use of truffle somewhere (probably a drizzle of oil). I'm really glad I didn't eat all my bread so that I could use it wipe up that yolk. Yarmy. 

Main course - Oven-roasted salmon fillet with vanilla foam and there was supposed to be an oyster, which was changed to something I can't remember on request. I just remember the fish being so luscious and hitting the spot exactly.

Dessert - Peanut Caramel Cheesecake. This deconstructed cheesecake was recommended to me by the other two who also ordered this (in fact, they also ordered the egg as well). Damn, it was worth it. The warm toffee was poured over the thin wafers, gently melting everything into each other and it just...*food gargle*.

I was asked what German food was like and if I could get something equivalent in Munich. I cried on the inside at my reply of "No...but I don't know if it's because I don't know which places make such foods or if it simply doesn't exist." The really funny thing was that I didn't feel stuffed - I felt pleasantly satisfied. Then I stood up and I realised I had eaten a lot :D.

The weather had turned by the time we had finished the weather had turned crappy so we decided to head to Suling and Mike's local pub to get some whisky. This pub was full of character with years of accumulated knick-knacks, and signs saying that, yes, wifi was free, but mobiles phone use was not allowed on premises. They also told me the former landlord used to stop people from entering unless they were regulars. Upon being asked how one became a regular, his reply was that they had to come inside to drink. Heh.
*Enjoying* my whisky. Actually, it wasn't bad - a bit smoky, a bit turpy.

No comments: