Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Yes but no but yes but no.

Towards the end of last year, I was informed by the Immigration Office that, due to a variety of reasons, I was eligible to become a permanent resident of Germany. This would mean that should I choose to quit my job and move to another city for another job, I wouldn't have to apply for a new visa. BUT it does not make me a permanent resident of the EU at large - if I were to quit to move to France, I would still need to apply for a French visa. "No worries," I said, "Tell me what kind of paperwork I'd need to apply and I'll do it." After all, it would be a lot easier than having to come back all the time, what with all these short science contracts, and have a stack of paperwork each time. One of the conditions to getting this was to prove that I could speak basic beginner (A1) level German. "But this shouldn't be a problem for you!" said my processor - and she would know because we were talking to each other in German.

Further examination of the paperwork I was given to get residency revealed that I required a certificate. This then raised questions for me - I had completed some levels at language schools but did I have to complete a specific official certificate (e.g the TELC, Goethe Institut, or DaF) and if so, which one, or was it enough to go to my language school/teacher and say that I had completed the levels? I sent an email back to the migration office to ask this specific question...and got a reply saying that they had made an official appointment to process me in a few weeks' time. Huh? Well that didn't answer my question but okay...given that our correspondence was in German, they decided that I didn't need that certificate? That didn't seem right, but I didn't have enough time to organise an appointment to do an exam so....

Yeah...going through my paperwork, my (different) processor asked me (in German) if I had any problems with anything. I honestly replied (in German) that I didn't have the A1 language certificate because I wasn't informed which exam I needed to complete but that, as she could tell, I could understand and speak German quite well. She immediately stopped and looked at me aghast, "No, you need a certificate! It's not enough that I can tell that you understand me - they want a record saying that I can also read and write! Noooooo, I'm so sorry!!!!" and then gave me a list of accredited schools from which they would accept certificates. Turns out my school wasn't on the list (!!!) but okay. I guess I'll go back to German school and complete and even higher level because I don't see the point in paying to complete a course/exam that means nothing on a professional level.

No comments: