Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Scotland - Glasgow part 2

The weather in Glasgow remained a bit hit and miss so I picked another indoor activity over the Botanical Gardens - a visit to Glasgow Cathedral. Funny side story - I decided to take a bus there rather than walk and the bus driver had absolutely no idea what I was saying because he couldn't understand my accent. After saying, "Ahm soory lass, ah canna oonderstand ye!" a helpful commuter sprang up to say, "Eh, she woonts tah geh teh thar Cathedral!" Fun times indeed.
Interesting factoid - also known as St. Mungo's, Glasgow Cathedral was the only mediaeval Scottish church on the mainland to survive the Reformation with its roof. The church also used to be Catholic but is now Presbyterian.

Sweet. I don't appear to have photographed it, but St. Mungo's tomb is in the crypt beneath the church.

Maybe this says something about me, but I really liked the 19th century military memorials. 

Blackadder was a former bishop of Glasgow?!


The rain had decreased (a bit) by the time I was finished with my visit so I decided to cross over into the Glasgow Necropolis.
The cemetery is a pretty classic 19th century type (e.g. Pere Lachaise in Paris), that combines park with funerary memorials.

View from the cemetery towards the Cathedral and the bridge linking the two - the Bridge of Sighs.
Unfortunately, it started to rain while I was climbing the cemetery hill, so I decided to head back to Buchanan St. and wander around/shop.

See how slimy wet it was? Also, lovely peacock sculpture over the Princes Square building.

I can't remember the name of this arcade but it's another flashback to 19th century boomtimes. 

The South Portland St. Suspension bridge, a footbridge spanning the River Clyde. 

I eventually got tired of wandering around the rainy day and as Patri was finishing up her day, we met up at The Tea Rooms at the Butterfly and Pig. Very warm and welcoming.

For dinner, we decided to forgo spanish food, instead choosing to test a new place...that sold CHINESE MALAYSIAN FOOD!!! Here are my wonderful hosts, Javi and Patri.

The food was pretty good - I certainly wasn't complaining given that I hadn't eaten this stuff since leaving Australia. We had Char kway teo, nasi lemak, duck with aubergine, and roti canai. Javi and Patri confessed to loving roti canai after having previously eaten it in another Malaysian restaurant. There are multiple restaurants selling this type of food in Glasgow? Lucky people! 

No comments: