Monday, September 19, 2005

Weekend adventures.


His name is Gaspard Ulliel, and I'll get to him later.

After a quiet Friday at home with my dvds, I had an action packed Saturday and Sunday with my sister's car. Those who know me know I'm not a big fan of driving, especially to places I'm not familiar with. But I did a lot of that on Saturday, and I did it ALONE!!! (mostly)

Firstly, I drove to Kew to pick up Queenie and then proceeded to drive the two of us (using her directions) to Camberwell for brunch. And it was an AWESOME brunch. We split eggs benedict with extra mushrooms and hash browns. nummie nummie nums. We then browsed through many shops on Burke Rd looking for a present for my new cousin (currently un-named although she will probably be named Isabelle). I got her some pink fleecy blankets. Toys weren't necessary because my auntie already has a 1yo boy. I then drove Queenie back to her house and played with Cookie for a while. She's such a happy dog, although it was tiring playing with her.

I then drove through Kew Junction to Uni to pick up my spare hairdryer. I don't think I've ever done that during daytime before. I parallel parked outside the Med Bld, picked up my stuff, then drove to Faraday St to buy some oriental lillies from Lygon St and then walked to the Women's to gossip with Tash and wrap them for free at the old Flower shop.

Then I did the hard bit....driving to Sunshine hospital all by myself. I did get lost once - I took the wrong slip lane and ended up driving somewhere I wasnt supposed to be, but a quick consultation with the Melway told me how to get back on track. Good thing I stole the new one from my brother's car. By the time I got to the hospital it was no longer visiting hours. The downstairs nurse quizzed me on information concerning my auntie as if she thought I was some random person! And then the ward nurse told me off for visiting during non visiting hours! Some people are busy, ok!!! But anyway, I carried the baby around for a bit but I found I had to be careful about the positioning because she had a tendency to go for the breast. My uncle came in later and I played with baby Ethan while Uncle fussed about the new one. I *heart* Ethan. I want a baby just like him - happy.

I then drove to Kensington to have a pizza and dvd night with Lydia because her housemates went to Bendigo for a 21st. We watched Hitch (3/5) and the movie featuring that spunky young thing above - Un Long Dimanche de Fiancailles (A Very Long Engagement). It's by the director of Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet), and starring Audrey Tautou (from Amelie) and Gaspard Ulliel (from Les Egares). Audrey and Gaspard are childhood sweethearts. Gaspard has been fighting on the Somme but after a fellow soldier is blown up and splatters all over him he gets himself deliberately wounded so he can be sent home. However, getting yourself injured to avoid battle is a capital offence. Rather than face a firing squad, he and 4 other soldiers are thrown into No Man's Land and assumed killed in the crossfire. Audrey believes that she'd know it in her soul if Gaspard were dead, and so begins a beautiful, romantic, not to mention quirky, mystery movie. It also features Jodie Foster with a flawless French accent! Watch it! (4/5)

No comments: