Sunday, June 24, 2007

Indecision

Like many other people of my generation and acquaintance, I have joined Facebook. And like all the other times I join a *networking* thingamajig, they ask you to make a list of favourite movies, songs/music, books and so forth.

I am not Maria Von Trapp. It is difficult to write out a list of things that one can call the absolute bestbestbest in one's mind! How do you decide? I mean, the criteria to decide these things are so vague! I love opera but I can't tell you if I like it better than RnB! And then how do I choose between individual operas and arias and whatnot?

The same goes for books. I've read a lot of books, many of which remain with me years after reading. But would you define best as something you'd read over and over again? I loved War and Peace but I'm not going to read it every year - to do so would be sheer folly! Likewise L'Assommoir by Emile Zola which I've read in English and French. It's a brilliant book that's absolutely devastating not something I'd tackle again in either languages. And then you have those romances that I do read over again if I'm feeling like something light. I wouldn't be calling them the 'best' though. I will however say is that The Da Vinci Code is a load of crap.

Movies? TV shows? I watch so many of them, often repeatedly, that that I can't decide. And don't get me started on artists and their paintings. Hell, I can't even decide if I prefer Melbourne over London over Paris over Venice over Rome. English breakfast, chai, Earl Grey, or jasmine? Life is just too short to decide what you like best!

No comments: