Thursday, September 27, 2007

Venice loves and loathes

Loves:
Our hotel room. It was in a separate annexe so it was like having our own apartment! Ok, we paid through the nose to have the convenience of bein
g right behind S Marco, but it was right behind S. Marco! A few times me and Lydia would let ourselves in from the street and you'd hear someone go *ohmigod, did you see that girl go into the door? I'd love to have an apartment right here!*
The views. It still looks like like any painting you've seen of the place. I
went to a Singer Sargent exhibition of his Venetian watercolours - those places were downright recognisable.

The signage is (almost) completely useless, somewhat comically so. It's possible to be in an alley or square and see signs pointing to S. Marco/Accademia/Ferrovia in completely different directions.
My favourite sign is this one with an arrow pointing in opposite directions.

Loathes:
The tourists. Didn't get a photo of that but I feel kinda sorry for the people who have to live there.

Getting lost. At first its amusing, but then it just mutates into megafrustration. On the first day, Lydia got so lost, she swears she passed the same beggarman three times. I got so lost once when I finally conceded defeat and looked on a map, I found out the area I was in wasn't on the map and then I got sunburn trying to find my way back. On another night when we were going to dinner, we heard someone yell out *OH WHAT?!?! WE'RE HERE AGAIN!!!!* Okay, that last bit was pretty funny.

The pigeons. They are DISGUSTING. You've got to literally wade through them to cross S. Marco.I don't understand how people can stand there and let them crawl all over them. They're like rats with wings.

No comments: