Monday, December 03, 2007

Back from the Far Edge of the World (Canberra)

No, I'm not dead (yet)! I've been in Canberra for a conference. I have learned a few things from it.
  1. Canberra reminds me of a little town. In fact, it reminds me of the LaTrobe uni campus.
  2. I no longer have the patience to sit through lecture blocks where I don't understand the content or don't care for the topic. But then, did I ever? Isn't that why I didn't do commerce?
  3. By mildly insulting professors, you can garner offers for lab visits and job placements!
  4. You will always judge how good a conference is based on the food they serve you.
  5. The Slow Hand is alive and well.
Anyway, we were staying in the *king* of hotels in Canberra (ironic tone there). I remember I mentioned to Kahuna that I'd be staying there and he gave me a strange look and then he started laughing. The rest of the lab (barring the head honcho) had arrived and checked in before me, but I'd been told that the actual room we'd be staying in wasn't ready when they arrived blah blah blah. Remembering Pooey's blogs on hotel/motels around the country (each link for a diff entry!), I fully intended to give the place the benefit of the doubt and started by ignoring the 80s style decor of the lobby area. But when I got to the room, I was much unimpressed.

Here are some pics I took:
The counterpane on this bed was stained. Not my bed.

The handle on the door leading to the minibar was broken off. And despite the combined efforts of four university degrees, we weren't able to get it open.

I don't know why that metal thing was attached to the bathroom bench. Unless it used to hold something. But if you're going to remove the functional bit, why not remove it all?

However that's not the really annoying thing! When I first walked in, the room smelled of bad disinfectant, the kind they use in public toilets. I opened up the windows before the others arrived back but the smell hadn't dissipated! It was confirmed to me!

But that's still not the most annoying thing! The most annoying thing was that it took us 30 minutes to walk to the conference centre. And it RAINED every day too. And it was far enough that even the most sporty, the most enthusiastic person in our group (i.e. not me) complained that it was far!!!

No comments: