Saturday, December 15, 2007

Long-lost Monkey rears it's head

Depending on who you are, I am considered quite the princess. People have asked me to go camping with them, just to see me wrinkle up my face!

Camping?! EUW!!!

But every now and then I like to throw a spanner into the works by doing something completely beyond the pale like brazilian jujutsu or being ultra-violent. Today I went rock climbing and a non-insignificant number of people were amazed that I was going to do it although that changed a bit when I revealed it was indoors and not out in the wild. But I was quite the little climbing monkey as a child and since the new centre on Swanston opened up, I've been keen to try it out!

Things got off to a shaky start when my nose started bleeding in the middle of explaining how to put your harness on, but it stopped and Mondz indicated that she was too hungover to climb and offered to be my belayer - things changed. Despite conflicting information about how to do it and little twiggy arms, I turned out to be quite the natural! Even though
managed to climb six walls in two hours and in particular, put one guy to shame when I managed to climb a wall quite quickly whereas he only got half way up! I even managed to complete a climb graded 12 but unfortunately when I needed to re-climb a 10 in order to get a pic to prove that I made it to the top, halfway up my slippery fingers made me unsure where my grip was supposed to go :(

Now all I have to do is work on my flexibility and general strength and I may get better and
hopefully I will be able to work my way up to 20+!!

No comments: