Wednesday, October 14, 2009

'Name Me'/'iSnack2.0'/'TBC'

I was at the supermarket today when I saw a jar of the new formulation of Vegemite, the previously un-named combination of cream cheese and Vegemite, that was then-named iSnack2.0 to universal disdain (including my own), and now currently un-named again due to copyright issues.

I decided to purchase a jar that had the iSnack label, partly because I figure they won't be around for much longer (kinda like cans of New Coke), but also because I still hadn't actually tasted this new formula. I then decided to buy a smaller jar labelled 'Name Me' because I figured I wouldn't want to open the iSnack jar. Also, the un-named jars are smaller and if I hated it, it wouldn't take me so long to eat.

But you know what? I actually quite liked it. One of the things I don't like about Vegemite is the very strong flavour. As such I usually eat it very thinly spread with a creamier option on top such as avocado or cheese (natch) to soften the blow. Marene and I ate this new spread thinking it was a bit of a tease - a small taste of the Vegemite and then the glorious taste of my bread (four seed rye, toasted). We then decided to spread it on more thickly and lo and behold!

We found it to be a creamier, sweeter, less salty concoction. Despite the differences, it did retain the *Vegemitey* flavour. However we oddly found that the new flavour slightly resembed fermented bean paste, or a little bit like miso. Would I buy it again? Probably, if I were living on my own in a country without continuous avocados and no one to help me eat a complete jar. But then, if that were the case, I probably wouldn't be able to buy Vegemite anyway.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

can you bring some into uni? i dont eat vegemite but dont mind trying this. i also have an entire loaf of bread to get through!

it's hard not to think it was a marketing ploy. they denied it but i remain duly skeptical!!!!

mallymoodle said...

Actually, if you're at uni right now, I left the jar in the tea room