Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Hike v2.0

The last time I was in c-town, I somewhat notoriously went on The Hike v1.0. I swear, I have never had so many people laugh in my face before whenever I told them
  1. That I was actually going /went on a hike. Me! Hiking!?! And of course
  2. The story of what actually happened on the hike.
When people found out I was going to c-town again, I got a lot of people sniggering and asking if H was going to make me go on another hike. In fact, some people wished me a happy hike rather than a happy trip (Pom, I'm looking at you!).

Because he values his life, H promised me that this time we wouldn't go off the track. Yay! Also, because I am a sun-hater, he decided we should go in the late afternoon-early evening. Double yay! And so, more mentally prepared, we went off to walk the track around Mt. Majura. I had my ipod and happily sang along to 80s movie soundtrack classic - a bit to H's
and to the general public's bemusement that I was disturbing the birds. We made it to a clearing part way up the mountain and watched some planes fly in and out of the c-town airport while enjoying some fruit and muesli bars.

H admires some trees.
(EDIT - and vanillabear admires H's ass)

This wallaby came quite close!

Come back, Mr. Wallaby!

After deciding that we didn't have enough time to make it to the summit, we went on down back towards the start. Now, I suffer from quite bad hayfever. You probably all know where this story is about to go. I had popped a 24-hour antihistamine a few hours earlier thinking it would keep me sane and sniffle-free. Not so. I'm not sure when I started sniffling, but by the time we made it back to the carpark, I was full on blowing my nose.

Excluding the summit, the track was only about 3.5km long - peasy. Peasy enough that H decided we should take a walk around the neighbourhood while it was still light for extra exercise. Figuring it couldn't hurt that much, I acquiesced with what I hope was minimal fuss. Bad mistake on both our parts. By the end, hayfever had made my face and especially my eyes feel so painful that...I stopped talking.

Poor H noted afterwards that the ensuing silence made my misery readily apparent and he finally realised that nature just isn't my friend. No comment on whether he'd make me do it again yet.

6 comments:

Vanilla Bear said...

Nice view! ;)

Lynn said...

When I was 3-4 months preggers, I can't remember, Jimbo took me mountain bike riding up Red Hill (a smallish hill in canberra famous for awesome mountain bike tracks). Now, I'm all for riding on roads and on dirt tracks, but he took me up the steepest of tracks and on really thin trails, where if my bike was off target by like centimeters, my bike would slide and me and the bike would tip over. lol. now, let's just say i was very silent on that trip too and i may have shed a few tears. hahahaha.....

what's with these boys and nature?

Pooey said...

why did jimbo do that?

it was like he was trying to get rid of the pregnant lady!

mallymoodle said...

Omg Lynn, I read your comment and am thinking mine could have been so worse now.

I don't know why they love nature! It's like they're trying to degenerate back to caveman days!

Lynn said...

he has since realised the wrongness of his ways. lol.

The Informed Makeup Maven said...

Try running it next time ;D