Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Plant Killer

My new apartment has a a great and terrible balcony. Why so? It's great because it faces west meaning I get a lot of afternoon sun - great for when the sun actually does shine! However, it is also on the Erdgeschoss (ground floor) and it faces the street meaning I have very little privacy. But everyone who visited me has said it's a nifty thing - I could just put some plants in the planter boxes, and voila! I could have a bit of privacy as well as a small herb garden. This would therefore be handy and delicious!


Things have not quite worked out that way. 


So far, I have killed 

  • Two pots of Vietnamese mint
  • Two pots of lavender
  • One pot of coriander (okay, it might be too cold to grow that here)
  • One pot of basil
And of my surviving plants (a small rosebush, two gerberas, a pumpkin vine, and a solitary box hedge plant inherited from the previous tenant), the pumpkin isn't looking too great and the gerberas will die come Winter. I've been told to invest in more roses - apparently they should be hardy enough to survive. *sigh*

No comments: