Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Weißwurst Frühstück

Ahhh, German Cuisine. Weißwurst is a boiled white sausage made from pork that's traditionally served for breakfast with sweet mustard (süßer senf), a pretzel, and a...er... weißbier (that's right, beer for breakfast). I consider myself a bit of a food viking - I like to go in and attack unknown meals with gusto, but when a number of proud Bayer und Bayerins are warning you about their own traditional meals, well, it just makes me extra curious! I met up with Chrish for lunch and having found that Weißwurst Frühstück was available, complete with the side of beer, I decided it was time I tried out the meal that divides Germany


The boiled weißwurst in their pot, the brezn, und the süßer senf

The weißbier, a Franziskaner, was super! Chris tried to steal it because he doesn't like the alcoholic beverage that came with his breakfast, a glass of prosecco

He also rubbed in how nice his breakfast was compared to mine

Hmmm, how can I describe it? The smell of boiled meat doesn't bother me in general but I could see how it could bother others. Being boiled, it was a real bitch to cut up but the flavour wasn't so bad - again, this might be due to my familiarity with boiled meat although the herbs and spices in the sausage gave it a distinct flavour. Would I try it again? Maybe, although I think I'll eat Chrish's choice next time - it came with smoked salmon!

No comments: