Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Restaurant L'AOC

Our Saturday night dinner was at L'AOC, and for those cognisant of French food, those letters do refer to Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée - a French body that makes sure if something is labelled as particular product, it really comes from there e.g. Champagne must come from the Champagne region. This implies that the restaurant sources top produce.  I'm not sure if this is absolutely the case (it was a BARGAIN meal - €29 for the 3 course menu, or approx €55/head including wine) but it was definitely amazing. 

Our aperitif - it was like Kir Cassis

Prost! 

Some of the homey decor.

The entire menu is in French which meant that when we got it, there was a bit of trying to translate the words into German or English and then being baffled when we'd get something saying the word didn't exist. Well, with the power of the full internet behind me, I can now say that Rognons de veau are veal kidneys! Alas, none of us ordered that. Here's what we did order!
Escargots! Miam!

Camembert clafoutis. When it was cut open, the cheese ooooozed out in a most beautiful manner :D

Terrine de foie gras. HOLY MOLY!!! BIGGEST SLAB OF FOIE GRAS I'VE EVER SEEN! Not to mention eaten!

A more sedate slab of Terrine L'AOC

Philipp ordered the Terrine de Campagne but instead of serving him a piece, they just gave the entire thing to him and he was supposed to cut himself a tranche. That's so trusting - it was delicious!

Bottle of water, bottle of wine, and the cornichons and caramelised onions that went with the terrine. I also need to make a note about the onions - I need to figure out how they did them cos I could have eaten them on their own!

The entrees were pretty damn good and somewhat worrying - they were huge serves! What was going to happen when we got to the mains?! They were also huge! :O

Confit de canard - I believe the duck was finished but the delicious potatoes slathered in duck fat were not. Mmmm skin so crispy...

I can't remember what kind of sausage this was but it was also huge. Finished!

Beef tongue. So delicate, so tender. Also finished!

Philipp and his giant Entrecote. Finished with a bit of pain!

250g of beef tartare. When this came out, we were all astounded by the sheer size of it. What's not photographed is that it also came with a side salad AND pommes frites. :O Understandably, it was not finished but I was given kudos for getting about 200g of it into my belly. 

This (huge) mastiff could have helped us out!

About now, we were in a bit of a protein coma. But those who ordered the 3 course menu still had dessert to come. The rest of us decided to share a tarte tartin.

Mmmm, caramel, apples and pastry.

Fruit crumble and tarte aux chocolat 

After this, we chose to walk back again during which Christine said I was the quietest she had ever found me to be! The next morning, everyone said they were so full they found it difficult to sleep. Not me though. I conked out like a python that had swallowed a snake. 

2 comments:

Pooey said...

I WANT TO EAT HERE!!!!! Mmmmm melted camembert....
I can't believe they let him cut his own terrine.. wtf... I would've brought a doggy dag haha

word verif: grermall (like a german mall!)

mallymoodle said...

We can go there next time we're in Paris together!