Friday, December 07, 2012

New vocab!

During his visit, Alix and I also visited the Pink Christmas Christkindlmarkt in Glockenbachviertel. While looking at some of the stalls, we noticed lots of things in pink with the words *Tussi on Tour* written on them, and I had to explain that I didn't know the meaning of the word. We asked the shop guy and he said "a Tussi is a girl who is blonde and walks around with her nose in the air." Okay, so a snob.

But then oddly enough, the next day at Schokostunde, someone called Emma Watson, "die Harry Potter Tussi." And I was "hold on, that doesn't match what that guy told me yesterday...guys, what's a Tussi?" Everybody being happy to improve my Deutsch chipped in with examples such as "Daniela Katzenberger...no, that's not right...a girl who's like a footballer's wife...", while Markus being Markus said, "A Tussi...you know, like a typical Munich girl who wears fancy clothes and high heels and she goes out and laughs like *(high pitched) hahaha!* while drinking her prosecco und....oh Gott, I have to be careful what I say here!" So then I asked, "Am I a Tussi?" "No, you're too smart to be a Tussi! Tussi's are stupid girls!"

Thoroughly confused, I then looked it up in a bilingual dictionary and, lo and behold!, it was defined as a *bimbo*. So, I am now armed with a new word, and the knowledge that my colleagues consider most of the girls of Munich (and to a certain extent my own behaviour) to be be bimbos! 

No comments: