Monday, December 31, 2012

Ringing in the New Year in Davos

What's this?! A notorious snow-hater going to a ski resort for NYE? UNGLAUBLICH!!! But there I was, booking the tickets, buying the boots, and boarding the train to Davos (did you also know that I love alliteration a lot? kekeke). Amy had been an au pair for a family who lived there year-round and decided to visit them again since they'd kept in contact. 
The train ride from Munich takes approximate 5.5 hours (via Lindau/St. Margrethen, and Landquart), and passes through some pretty damn pretty landscape on it's way to the Swiss Alps. 

Davos has a permanent population of around 11,000 that apparently triples during the snow season and sends accommodation costs skyrocketing through the roof. Not for us though - we were staying here, in the apartment of Amy's former hosts. Suess!

The view from the backyard.

Yep, I can really see why this is a ski resort.

Djinger (ginger)- The only member of the family I managed to take a photo of!

Having last skiied nearly 10 years ago and knowing my injuries since then as well as the knowledge that I'd have to get up early and flying to Melbs in a fortnight, I decided that I was ultimately too chicken and too lazy to enroll for skiing classes again. Hey, breaking something is the last thing I'd want to do before a 20 hour flight to Aus! This didn't stop us from participating in the apres-ski partying though!
Our first night. You can probably tell that the partying crowd is very tall.

The strandkorben outside of our party place, the Bolgen Plaza

The Bolgen Plaza on NYE before it got really packed. Needless to say, there were no photos after this.

No comments: