Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Monolingual agony

Two things have become readily apparent to me since living in Europe, surrounded by multi-lingual Europeans. While I am pretty good at picking up languages and am constantly encouraged by friends of various nationalities to speak with them...I...I just can't! And it's really terrible! I'll sit there and listen to various friends switch between English, German, Spanish, or Italian and while I can generally understand (which is pretty funny for my Spanish friends), I wish I could speak with them! I'm not usually that quiet!!!

Okay, it's not so bad for me - I was once pretty much fluent in French and I have noticed that understanding German is definitely much easier, but I was out at a street party and an Austrian guy spoke to me in French, then German, before we just left it at English because it was easiest :(

No comments: