Friday, May 31, 2013

Defeated by Cake

Wai haro! Since it's a long weekend in Munich and Pooey is back in the UK, I've decided to go and hang out in London for a few days. And having found that I've lost enough weight to be similar to the size I was nearly 15 years ago, I gave the following instructions: "Fatten me up, Pooey! FATTEN ME UP!!!" So she booked us in for lunch/afternoon tea at Fortnum & Masons. Cue tea dresses and happy cake faces!
The menu and silverware.

Happy to be back on that banquette!

Happy anticipating face!

Because it was basically midday, we decided to have High Tea because it would start us off with a savoury dish before moving onto the sweet rounds. Usually when we do this kind of thing, Pooey and I choose different dishes so we can maximise flavour. We were having none of that this time as we both zeroed in on what we wanted...
 Truffled lobster omlette bisque!!!

Pooey's happy claw hands!

Yep, that didn't last long.

I was got a bit scared after wolfing that down though - I felt a bit full after that protein bomb! But then the tea service arrived and our faces got happy again!
YAY!!! From the top, we had a selection of cakes, sweet scones, and (I think) strawberry shortcake (shortbread). For the scones, we had strawberry jam, lemon curd, and clotted cream. Naturally.

More happy faces!

Mmmm, clotted cream...

Ol' Crazy Eyes thinking, "I can't wait to eat you up, clotted cream!"

In addition to the standard tea service, we also had a selection of celebration cakes because it had been 60 years since the Queen's coronation. I can't remember the flavour of all the cakes here but I sure looked forward to giving them a good home!

I can't remember if this was a normal thing or if it was specific to High Tea, but the staff mentioned that they could refresh our tea pots and any of the tiers as much as we wanted! ALL RIGHT!!! We got the sweet scones again so we could have our way with the cream but...we were so full that finishing the top cake tier was a struggle! And we had to turn down the celebration cakes! Like...what?! Since when do Mooey and Pooey turn down cake?!?! I mean sure, we could have stayed a couple of hours until we digested the previous rounds until we were ready for the celebration cakes...but no. At least it wasn't just us though, the couple next to us were in the same situation.

 Ol' Angry Eyes looking at the cake tier with resentment. Damn you cake, you've beaten us this time, but we'll be back!

No comments: