Monday, September 23, 2013

Wiesn 2013 - Babe and Babe 2.

Wiesn. Oktoberfest. 16 days of the year when the city loses its nut. A time when it is perfectly accepted to go to work in tracht, and when it's not uncommon to hear people say that they drank 3L of bier last night and intend to drink even more tonight! Saturday 21st of September was the first day of Wiesn this year, but since we'd been at Hyper! Hyper! the night before, an afternoon meeting was was decided upon and the Oide Wiesn the settled location. But this entry is not about how many biers I drank, or which Wiesn songs are the best to dance to. Oh no. This is about my beloved pet pig, Babe. 

Opposite the Oide Wiesn tent stood a clown. Normally I would avoid clowns like the plague, but he had something very intriguing - an entire set of helium animals at his feet. And even better, we saw someone buy an animal off him, and walk off happily with the animal tripping along in their wake! And I had to get one as well! And I named him Babe!
We had an instant connection. Maybe it was the way he just liked to follow me around on his red wool leash.

Maybe it was how cuddly he was when I decided not to let him get his trotters dirty. Either way, 

"OH MY GOD!!! LOOK AT THAT PIG WALKING BEHIND THAT CHINESE GIRL!!!!" was something I heard quite regularly while wanding around the Wiesn grounds.

Babe bewitched everyone who saw him and I had a few people asking me where he was purchased. But Oide Wiesn closes earlier than the rest of Wiesn and a few sad faces were to be had when they realised the clown would now be going home. Everyone except for one drunk Italian tourist who asked me if he could purchase Babe off me. Susi named a price that was, quite frankly, somewhat ridiculous. The Italian didn't even blink. (Un)fortunately, he didn't have the right amount of money for Babe, but he offered me $US40 instead. At approximately a 400% profit, we had a deal!
My new Thomas Jeffersons!

But a few minutes later, like literally, a few seconds after that Italian walked away cackling, I regretted it. I SOLD MY PET PIG!!! HOW COULD I?! MONEY DOESN'T BUY LOVE!!!

But it can buy a new pig!
Why hello there, Babe II! (And Swisschris in the background!)
We had a beautiful day together. Walking around, getting sweets, enjoying the day, and then Babe II came home and made himself comfortable on my rug. But eventually I realised that it was time to part with Babe II because there was someone who would appreciate his good cheer even more than I would!
Herr Priller was turning into Doktor Priller and I realised that there could be no better gift than the love of a good pig. 

Goodbye, my Babes! May you continue to give good cheer wherever you go!

No comments: