Sunday, November 03, 2013

Airport/Belgium - Day 1

Long weekend! So you know what that means - TRAVEL OPPORTUNITY!!! I decided to visit that glamorous location - Belgium. And why not? Marene and Studds moved to Leuven when Mars decided to take up a postdoc. Poor girl was feeling a bit homesick a few months ago so I thought I'd make a small Aussie reunion. But before that happened, I had the opportunity to indulge my love of Munich airport T2 for a few hours.

I decided to get in early and maximise my airport hangout time - even though I was booked in for a lunch flight and had nothing to check-in, I got there early enough to theoretically get myself some McDonald's breakfast. I didn't though - I decided it was more important to go to Mueller and Edeka and buy mini-toiletries and chocolate to fortify me for the trip. THEN I got a Filet-o-fish meal to munch on while surfing free Maccas internet. In hindsight, my great regret is that I didn't also purchase a cranberry-vanillasauce pie that they had as a special. Damn.

After going through security, I happy wandered through the duty-free area, purchasing a longchamp bag for Pooey and a doppelpack of Erdinger Weissbier + glass for Mars and Studds. I know they live in Biercountry as well, but I knew they'd be making me drink Belgian bier so it's only right that they also had to try Bayerisch bier! Then I sauntered around T2 for a bit, enjoying my free hot chocolate and Abendzeitung newspaper. Eventually the flight was boarded and we happily set off.

About halfway through the flight and while I was eating my Lufthansa sandwich, the pilot told us that there was some sort of technical fault and we'd be heading back to Munich. Errrr...whut? We're halfway through the flight, surely a technical fault should have been picked up before then? Or you know, drop us off asap in Frankfurt? Apparently not. I swear, I have never heard such an awkward flight announcement as the one that we were given about what kind of action we should complete to get to Brussels. It was actually quite funny (for me) as they sheepishly told us to ask the groundstaff because, 'They know exactly what to do!'
On the other hand, if they didn't stop the flight and make us bus back to the terminal, I would never have realised that this little guy was on the flight with me!

Having arrived back in Munich at the time I thought I would be landing in Brussels...I'll admit, there was a bit of confusion and apprehension. What if I couldn't get on another flight to Brussels that day?! I wanted my long weekend with Marene and Studds! Eventually though, it turned out that the wonderful Lufthansa staff had already re-booked everyone onto new flights - all we had to do was pick up our boarding passes. It turned out that I was on a flight that would leave at 3:30pm and arrive just before 5. That wasn't so bad. But even better - we had been gifted a refreshment voucher to the value of €5!!! LUFTHANSA FOREVER, BABY!!! But yeah, so instead of a nice afternoon wandering around Leuven, I spent the entire day on planes or in airports.

No comments: