Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Spreading sweet-sweetness

I love food. I love cooking. And of my favourite cooking *technique*, I love baking.

I've been practicing for a while now for the annual ACB bake-off, my entry day of which is Sept 11 (nice and easy to remember). This year's criteria is *herbs or spices* so I've been making an apple-crumble cake. Each time I've made it, I've tried to modify it to increase the bits that people like best (the crumble top) and to correct for my crappy home oven (I think I might just have to use someone else's). And because I've been practicing, my lab and various other people in the dept. have been happily hoeing into variations of my apple cake, which then brings me to this...

I love it when people enjoy food. I love when people acknowledge a good dish. And I love how a good meal can spread a sheen of cheer over a crowd of people.

In these crazy diet-fuelled times, people may curse me for giving them things loaded in butter and sugar but deep inside, you know you love it all too.

No comments: