Monday, January 15, 2007

The Sydney Rundown

Well I’m newly returned home from a holiday in other city. I won’t say it was a total break from work because I did bring some things up with me, but I hope you all gather much satisfaction that I didn’t do anywhere near as much work as I thought I would. Aside from that, I do feel quite refreshed even though Miss Pooky packed my days full of activities she’s wanted to do but couldn’t (mostly due to the malicious fun-decreasing elements of her lab), and we also did a lot of lazing around in her wonderfully appointed apartment watching DVDs. Also, since I am stupid, I forgot to take a camera so there are no photos.

After visiting her lab on Friday, we went to some of her favourite undergrad haunts in Glebe, a café called Badde Manors and a The Gleebookshop. The café was a semi-vegan place where I made her eat a Tofu burger that was quite delicious, much to her surprise. And they had really awesome gelati and sorbet. At the bookshop I picked up a copy of More Mere Mortals – a book that contemplates the various medical maladies of historical figures and how that may have affected history. That night we met up with Pooky’s sister, Fluff, and after gorging ourselves at Sushi Train, we watched The Pursuit of Happyness (review coming soon).

Having discovered that Jia One Plus was in town, we met up with her and Jiggles for lunch, Starbucks (I refuse to call that coffee), and shopping. One heartwarming story, Jigs left his umbrella in the Myer foodcourt, a fact he only realized once we were in Starbucks. We didn’t think his chances of finding it again would be high, but despite being away for maybe 20-30 min., it was found in the same place where he left it! That night, we met up with Fluff and her bf, You Won!, for dinner at Pancakes on the Rocks, to get more DVDs, and to buy ingredients to fulfill my sudden urge to bake shortbread. I did and they were delicious! That night we watched Little Man (review NOT coming soon – that’s a shocking movie!) and The Lake House (review coming soon).

Sunday, we met up again with Jiggs and Jia for yumcha, which was actually quite interesting because none of us could speak enough Cantonese to order what we wanted to eat and because Jiggs and I nearly came to blows about whether the Time Paradox was plausible in Lake House. Later I purchased myself a fetching new purse and we purchased some more DVDs to watch. Jia departed to meet up with family, we other three returned to the apartment to watch The Curse of the Golden Flower, Just Friends, and after dinner and So You Think You Can Dance, Click (reviews coming soon).

Seeing as Monday was my last day, we decided to do something educational and spent the morning at the Powerhouse Museum, looking at the history of The Great Wall of China and amusing ourselves in the Science section. Hey, we’re geeks!!! We then went to a Korean restaurant for bulgogi and a way too much food. We didn’t stick to the formula of n dishes + rice – whereby n is defined as the number of people - the two of us ordered four dishes + rice! And then we went back to the apartment for me to pack…and then we bought ice cream and bubble tea to boot!

Despite being internet-free, alcohol-free, exercise-free, and (almost) work-free, I had a really good time! I had such fun bumming around with Pooky and Co. that I’m dreading going back to the lab tomorrow morning. *sigh* This is why I shouldn’t be allowed to take holidays.

No comments: