Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Meaning of Life

For reasons I don't understand, a lot of people over the course of my life has asked me what I think the meaning of life is. This is probably due to me being a smartarse kid and various adults wanting to shut me up and get me thinking instead of talking. And I've heard them all from *42* to *footy* and *Monty Python*.

Anyway, I've been reading Christopher Moore's A Dirty Job, the text of which is prefaced by this passage from The Epic of Gilgamesh:

What you seek, you shall never find.
For when the Gods made man,
They kept immortality for themselves.
Fill your belly,
Day and night make merry,
Let days be full of joy.
Love the child that holds your hand.
Let your wife delight in your embrace.
For these alone are the concerns of man.

Atheist, nihilist, humanist, transhumanist, positivist, pragmatist, existentialist... this passage has it all! But I think it's a pretty good answer and one dating back thousands of years! So have a good time while you're here ppl -its all you should be worried about.

No comments: