Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Meeting up with Kat(i)e and The Barber of Seville

The Grand Empress Kat(i)e is back in town and I participated in her Friday night shenanigans. Luckily she's posted about them here so there you go!

Saturday, I went out with Laura, Ruilin, Natty and Kenny to go watch The Barber of Seville. I've been a big fan of the Barber ever since I saw the Bugs Bunny version as a child and that love has only grown with age. All my various favourite arias were there - 'Largo al Factotum' and the Lesson Scene. We got opening night tickets and two things stood out:
  • It seemed like we were the youngest people who were voluntarily there (I'm excluding the kids who attended with their parents); and
  • I rarely ever feel underdressed but I sure did here!
Either way, I still enjoyed the show even though reviews such as this one in The Age aren't as favourable. While I do agree that the set was a bit confusing, the things that mattered to me - the story and performances were still great. I will admit to a bit of disappointment that the person who was supposed to play Figaro was sick, but his understudy Luke Gabbedy's portrayal was great showing him as young and slightly crazier than the Figaro I saw in the Marriage of Figaro. Maybe this will turn into one of those stories where the understudy has to fill in on short notice and goes on to have a brilliant career! Emma Matthews was/IS brilliant as Rosina - best one on the night, and while it took a while to get used to Count Almaviva as being round and cuddly as opposed to Teddy Tahu Rhodes' stomping sexy sleazebag, Henry Choo made the Count out as a charming and lovelorn, if somewhat impulsive young man. It almost pisses me off that he turns into such a bastard in a few short years!

I don't think it was better than Marriage, but if you do have some spare moolah, I do recommend it, if just to hear Emma Matthews' performance, the Lesson Scene in particular. Those high notes....brilliant.

No comments: