Sunday, April 08, 2007

Puppet up!

For this year's Comedy Festival, Laura from Level 3 suggested we go see Puppet Up! The show comes from the Jim Henson Co. featuring non-copyrighted muppets doing R-rated material. The key point is *non-copyrighted* - i.e. no Bert and Ernie gay jokes.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SHOW. Here's a clip showing what the show is like :)


Apart from making me laugh very much, it also made me appreciate how much work the puppeteer puts into handling the puppet and how some puppets automatically have personality. My favourite skit of the night would be when they took a guy from the audience and he had to handle a muppet with the story that his was trying out as a gladiator. You could see how hard it was to co-ordinate action to voice as well as how much effort it was to hold the thing up!

My main criticisms is the audience participation. The people on my night seemed to be preoccupied with *taking a dump!* - that suggestion came up a few times. Sometimes the scenarios were extremely hard to work with - such as requesting Shane Warne as a character, good thing the puppeteer was a fan of cricket.

Anyway, catch this show if you can!

No comments: