Friday, July 27, 2007

I can't stop looking at this picture

People who have been paying attention to my *books* category will find a pattern - I seem to like either romances, vampires, or romances with vampires (and the occasional classics smattering). I've also started rediscovering YA-fiction latetly. So when you combine all those elements, you get the books that I've been reading lately; the Twighlight series by Stephenie Meyer.

The plot isn't anything particularly new. Girl moves
to new town, falls in love with strangely beautiful but outcast boy. Boy turns out to be 100-year old vampire. What really makes it special to me and the many other online fans of this book is how it's told and the characters, particularly Edward the vampire. It's told from Bella (the girl's) perspective and she's the snarky, mildly insecure and clumsy teenage you all know (or perhaps were). While this slightly weakens the story because you don't know what it is Edward sees in her (she's also self-deprecating), the sense of wonderment she has at the events around her make up for it. And then of course there's Edward. *sigh*

Being the geek I am, I searched to see what other online book freaks were saying about it and lo and behold, I discovered Stephenie Meyer's own webpage and was thrilled to discover the books have been optioned for a movie. And I was absolutely gobsmacked at the guy she thinks should play Edward.
Henry Cavill. The strange thing is, I remember not being too impressed when I saw the Count of Monte Cristo but this photo totally proves me wrong! And I'm not the only one in agreement. I immediately sent the pic to Kirsty and lets just say the conversation degenerated after that.

Let's hope the movie is done soon!

No comments: