Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Great European Adventure Food Awards part 2

Jet lag is a bitch but here we go!

Individual Awards:
Best Gelati Flavour
No question for me - Caramel and Meringue from that Gelateria near Piazza Navona. I really liked the cinnamon and ginger, but I still cant get over the pleasant surprise of finding those chunks of meringue in the gelati. Mmmmm, crunchy. As a general flavour, peach or pear is usually a good bet.

Best Cheese
The name says it all. When we went to the market in Faubourg St. Antoine, as we were waiting for the fromager to return with the change for our camembert, I pointed out a wonderfully oozing gooey looking cheese called "L'Exstase de....." we couldn't decipher the last word on the label. Davaillos? Darallous? Anyway, it was covered in something that looked like breadcrumbs and pepper and it had a wonderfully smooth texture, it had a sweetish creamy flavour with a mild nose rush. Lubbly.

Best Source for Cheap Food
Markets. There's no bargain like walking into a market and getting a cup of fresh fruit combination for 1.5 euros or lots of really fresh gourmet salad for 2 euros. Or any boulangerie in Paris - I think Spuey just lived off bread and he said the French was definitely the best. Or BILA supermarket in Venice.

Best National Cuisine
I think it's pretty obvious. The French win, hands down. Even the *crappy* lemon tuiles cookies were delicious. As much as I love Italian food, the variation in quality could really wreck a meal. That and Italian bread was a huge disappointment to me and Lydia. English food? Borough Market was great but I tired quickly of all the pre-made food that is sold everywhere else.

Best Overall Meal
In term of flavour, it has to go to Le Gavroche. However, I simply cannot recommend it as the *best* meal given that the main course alone cost about $AUD75 at the current exchange rates.

In term of value, it was Five Euro Lunch. But even though me and Pooey technically ordered the same baguette, there was a big variation between the two - mine was better, it had more veggies in it. That and I can't remember where the cafe is.

But for the meal that stuck with me and reminded me of what I really love, Lunch in Place de Vosges with food from street stores. A baguette, some cheese, pate and berries...bliss.

No comments: